By The Sea - South Gare Redcar No6- People Reportage Photos by Photographer Paul E Williams { 10 images } Created 15 Oct 2022

By The Sea - South Gare Redcar #6 - A reportage landscape photo art series by photographer Paul E Williams.

In 1859 it was decided to build a retains wall along the banks of the River tees from its mouth 22 miles inland. This allowed the creation of the inland ports and shipyards at Middlesborough and Stockton upon Tees. The high banks built of the south side of the mouth of the Tess is known as the South Gare, which created a safe harbour inside of its protective walls.

The Gare was constructed from January 1861 to 1884 using 5 million tonnes of blast furnace slag and 18,000 tons of cement at a total cost of £219,393. The slag was supplied free from Tees-side blast furnaces by ironmasters who paid for its removal. The north end of the breakwater carrying the lighthouse uses blocks of concrete weighing from 40 up to 300 tons in weight.

Today the South Gare is at the end of the new Teeside Free Port and a tiny harbour still has many small old wooden fishing boats. Apart from that the overgrown banks are home to a rare butterfly and thousands of migrating Starlings.

See more at from By The Sea at https://photographer.paulewilliams.com/p/by-the-sea-photos
View: 100 | All